Precocious. Little. Clover. Devil

Wednesday, April 06, 2005
Shutter Lag


A digital SLR will always have shutter lag.

There goes any thought of procuring a digital SLR. I definitely cannot afford any shutter lag, especially if I require to take moving shots or moving subjects.

Oh well. Back to the countless hours of searching for a suitable Optical camera candidate.

Maybe I'll get a range-finder instead. My Uncle's managed to convince me that the range-finder performs better than an SLR.

Let me explain the SLR to readers who are less inclined on this topic. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex, which means that the viewfinder image is reflected by a mirror directly from the camera lens. THus the name Single Lens Reflex. So when the camera's shutter is depressed, the mirror will be moved, allowing the light to fall onto the negative.

There's one major flaw in that. Mirror shake. When the mirror is pulled back to allow the light to fall on the negative, it causes the camera body to shake.

The range-finder eliminates that problem, because it uses two lenses, the main lens and the viewfinder lens. So there's no need for a mirror. (I'm not in the mood to explain why the range-finder's viewfinder image will not vary with the lens image due to the distance between the two different lenes... It's too tedious)

----------

I guess convenience will never beat results. That's where digital cameras still need to catch up on.


Gavin pondered @ 14:14


Under the layers of dust